Saturday, 4 September 2010

Another day in Washington, we decided to go to Georgetown first up and have some lunch. We tried the buses today and it was easy, you can use the same card for the bus or the subway. Georgetown is the original site, before George decided to make Washington the capital. It was originally not named after George Washington though.. It is also home to Georgetown University. It is a lovely area with nice streets and many old buildings. We found a great bookstore (yes I still love books even though I now have an iPad) and some antique stores. There is also an old house dating back to the 1700s. After a very tasty lunch we went to the American Indian Museum. Amazing building as you can see from the photo. We spent several hours wondering through learning lots about the Indians. Did you know the potato came form South America? Great exhibitions. We were going to go to the Art Museum but were just so exhausted that we headed back to the hotel. Unfortunately getting lost and walking about 3 kilometers until we found the Metro. Time to back up and get ready for New Orleans. I like Washington, the Smithsonian Museums are magnificent and such a treasure of knowledge and artifacts. You could truly spend a month in Washington taking in all of the sites. I think it would be an easy city to live in but maybe a bit sterile. I did prefer Boston, I can see myself living on Beacon Hill.

1 comment:

  1. Get used to calling the American Indians the First Nation People when you cross the border. Niamh will give you lots of history and stories about them...really interesting!
    Happy Fathers Day, Robert! Our Russian theme was great. Andrew made a great speech in Russian...very moving!

    ReplyDelete